Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday 12 October - Prego Rolls

What an awesome day it was in Durbs today! We woke up to a bright and hot (already at 7am) sun glistening on the ocean, the glare so bright I couldn't see the ships waiting for berth outside the habour.




The boys ventured into the still freezing pool for the first swim of the summer yesterday, so with the amazing weather, I knew today will be spent round the pool. I was also feeling a bit lazy, so the only option for lunch was - PREGO ROLLS!

As far as I know these are a very South African/Mozambiquean Portuguese.


What you'll need is:

  • Enough Rump or Rib-eye to feed the number of people your cooking for.
  • Minced chilli salsa (I use my mate Greg's - will post this when he makes his next batch!)
  • A good organic Humus - not South African or Portuguese, just my twist.

Grill the steaks to your prefrance (ours was medium rare for the kids)










So what next? The garden yielded some crispy salad greens, tomatoes and some stunted pygmy carrots (too small even for Jumper the bunny) but perfect for the salad.

From the fridge: Organic goats cheese, green olives stuffed with garlic slivers and radishes.















Serve the salad platter, which I dressed with balsamic and extra virgin olive oil, sliced steak and chicken (for the kids!) with crusty portuguese rolls, warm from the oven.


The best way to eat this, or at least my favourite way is to break the roll in two, wedge some salad (make sure you get some goats cheese!) and some steak strips in the half rolls and top with humus and chili!

As we say here in South Afrika ......... mmmmmm ......... MMMMM ......... LEKKER!

No comments:

Post a Comment