Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday 5 October - Spiced Pork Belly


I’ve been craving Pork Belly for some time now. Whilst out getting some provisions yesterday, I spotted the perfect cut at a local butcher, and I buckled and bought! so needless to say it is SPICY PORK BELLY for lunch today.



Spice Mix

Dry roast a generous pinch of each:


  • Mustard seeds

  • Coriander seeds

  • Fenugreek seeds

  • Cumin seeds

  • Fennel seeds

  • Piece of cinnamon stick

  • Cardomom pod

  • Star Anise

Grind the mix down after dry roasting in a pestle and mortar.


Brush the meaty side of the Belly with a good quality Soy Sauce (I prefer Tamarind) and the rub with spice mix then season with Maldon salt to taste. Put skin side up in a roasting tin.





In order to get a good crackling the skin needs to be bone dry. Sprincle with Maldon salt and roast in a pre-heated oven, at 150 degree C, for 2.5 to 3 hours.








I’ll serve the Belly with Couscous to mop up the pan juices, Green beans with Garlic and Freshly picked Spinach from our garden (check out the pic of my son Stefano doing the prep). and to wash this all down a crisp Italian Pinot Grigio.





Bon Appitito!

1 comment:

  1. Love your Blog impressed, i will be trying out some of your dishes in my new beautiful Island Kitchen on my Falcon stove Sebastian calls The Beast...ciao4now Lu xx

    ReplyDelete